Thursday, October 20, 2016

Oh Mommy Pet My Hoom!

This morning Espen met a beautiful human named Gabriel, who, upon seeing Espen and I, raised his hands in namaste.

"I'm Jaime and this is my son, Espen." I said, holding out my hand. Yes, enchanted. 

He took my hand and immediately bent down to Espen and chanted something under his breath before asking if he could shake Espen's hand as well. 

Espen was suitably overwhelmed and transfixed. 

I recognized the chant.

"Did you just chant Om Mani Padme Hum to Espen?" I asked, secretly hoping.

He smiled and nodded. I did too.

"It's one of my favorite mantras." I confessed. 

"Mine too." He smiled and we parted ways, Espen reluctantly loading into the car. He kept trying to look back at the midnight angel, Gabriel.

"Mama, what did he sing me?" Espen demanded to know.

"It's the mantra I sing to you sometimes, remember this one?" and I sang it to him.

He smiled. "Oh that one!"

Later that afternoon I heard him happily humming around the backyard.

"What are you singing, Boo?" I asked.

He smiled at me and sang louder.

"Oh mommy pet my hoom, oh mommy pet my hoom!"

All hail, Wesp. Keeping even the most ancient of mantras relevant in today's times.

Though I didn't ask him in the moment, I am deeply curious as to what a "hoom" is. Any thoughts, please leave them below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment