Sunday, January 10, 2016

Kids Have Needs Too, Damnit.

Espen has a flock of stuffed animals he refers to as his "Pals", "Guys", or "Friends" depending on their situational function.

At night, they are his friends. He requires them by his side, ostensibly to keep things cozy... At least that's what he tries to sell us.

Being cozy is an inalienable right for anyone of Danish blood and Espen has claimed his right to interpret "cozy" as 15 plush toys.

A LOT (as Espen likes to say when asked how many blueberries or treats he wants) of vistas are opening up for him these days... He has learned to sing the dreidel song, yell on purpose, and clearly say things of great import, "Get UP, mommy!!"

As a result, he inevitably wants to share his progress with his pals at full volume.

So the other day, I put him down for his nap with a full compliment of friends. All is quiet for several moments.

And then.

"A B C D E F G!!!!!!!" splits the air like a supersonic wave.

I wait a moment.

It continues apace with all the joy of a Mardi Gras bacchanal.

This is when I wish I was an auntie or a visiting spectator. It's so darn fun to listen to him holding forth like a tiny, crazed conductor... But naps are important too, right? Jeez. The moral dilemmas parents face.

So I head in. Say, "Alright, Espen. Your pals can't sleep when you are singing to them so I will just put them down in the other room."

He smiles at me. "I can keep Doot-nah?"

"Alright. But you need to settle things down so he can sleep. He is a sleepy bear."

"Ok, mommy."

I walk out, thinking all is well.

Two seconds later, "Dreidel, dreidel, dreidel! I made it out of clay!!!!"

I walk back in, "Espen, I need to put Doot-nah to sleep in the other room."

"Nooooo! Mommy! Who will I TALK to?!?!"

Uh. Well. You won't? That's the point?

"But mommy, I need Doot-nah to TALK TO!!!"

The power of tiny humans showed me its awesome face. How could I take away his ONLY PAL HE CAN TALK TO IN THE WORLD? What kind of cruel sadist am I be for suggesting he labor into sleep without anyone to SPEAK TO.

I took Doot-nah anyway, wondering how *I* would sleep with myself that night.

Two minutes later, Espen was passed out and I remained, watching the filaments of guilt wafting from my shoulders.


No comments:

Post a Comment